Translate

Sunday 24 May 2015

Edutainment:

''In an era where the cultural and educational heritages of the world are being burnt to ashes and demolished into dust by religious fanatics and other extremists we must all work even harder to ensure the spreading and sharing of the seeds of  universal knowledge amongst womankind and mankind''

[patrick emek]




'Alien Encounters'

[The Science Channel]



It takes a lot these days for me to sit down and watch any television program.
Most programs are produced by arrogant, self-conceited elitist cliques – but cleverly designed and dressed up as 'mass entertainment' 'reality television' or 'educationally relevant'. For these reasons watching and listening to anything on the box - other than news channels worldwide these days - is a real burden for me.
So when the series 'Alien Encounters' were first aired some time ago I watched the first few minutes with the usual scepticism, my control at the ready to flick over to something more relevant and 'down to earth' in an instant.   However, I quickly woke up to the fact that the series was something really different from the others.
I was so impressed with the technical and scientific content that I called an 'emergency boardroom' 'meeting' with the kids to inform them that they were going to watch this program.   There were the usual howls of protest with one feigning a headache and another a tummy ache as reasons to excuse their availability from watching.    It was a battle - which I eventually won by means of 'gentle persuasion' (the promise of chocolates and ice cream) and 'time off' for good behavior.   The matter didn't end there.   There were scenes of utter exasperation, despair and hands wildly gesticulating in the air like some entranced religious worshippers - eyes rolling to the ceiling – as I paused and (just slightly) rewound frames or sections of each episode to explain some fundamental futurist, physical, biological or chemical theory or discovery which were being talked about.    The situation went from bad to worse with the (now) two remaining  'victims' (as they described themselves at that time)  just short of verbal altercations and maledictions towards me - and on the entire series - as the first episode ended.     (I had made matters much much worse by insisting they take notes as I would explain an important principle being discussed whilst I paused, then slightly rewound – so as to hopefully ensure that the matter was more accessible for their long term memories.    At the end of the first episode they swore they would never watch the second one under such onerous conditions.     However, the same two obligingly trundled in to watch the second, then the third, then fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh episodes.   Their protests never ceased – but were visibly growing far less as each new series evolved.
I could see that at least the two remaining 'victims' were intrigued - despite their howls and protests.
[The two interested individuals have very high IQs but one is very highly hyperactive – which means that anything requiring focused attention is always a challenge.]
When we arrived at episode eight, just before the Holidays, both declared that they had enough of my insistence on scientific-like note taking and would not continue to view unless I dropped this requirement and they could watch the program through from beginning to end – with no interruptions whatsoever.   This I could not agree to as I explained that the notes were to help them (as quite young children) to understand what was being discussed.    We could not agree.    The deadlock could not be broken.    We had reached an impasse – and neither of us was prepared to give way.    Other than taking the matter to the United Nations for arbitration I saw little future in continuing with my desire that they watch this with me for educational purposes.     I just forgot about the matter and gave it up as a lost cause.     Then, some time afterwards, quietly, little hints about 'when can we watch the next episode of Alien Encounters?' were innocuously and diplomatically hidden in passing conversations.     At first I ignored the hints because I was just too tired of doing battle, mentally scarred and emotionally drained of my own emergency reserve pack – the main oxygen supply line having been deliberately cut and long-since depleted.    But the innocuous turned into an outright 'we wanna watch the next episode of Alien Encounters!'; like protesters demanding their long-withheld civil rights.
So we watched episode eight together.     I still got the occasional protest as I paused, rewound and insisted on their taking notes to my explanations of situations.    By episode nine they were hooked.     No more protests and, to my amazement, vigorous independent notetaking (much to my shock and horror!) and not even a whimper as I would explain about theories of quantum mechanics, the links between  quantum computers, virtual reality, how big a yottabyte of information is and how such will operate with ease within the realms of quantum computers of the future.)
You will note that I have spent a lot of time talking about my battles with the kids and virtually none at all discussing what exactly 'Alien Encounters' is all about.
It's best summarised with the phrase given throughout: 'this program depicts a hypothetical scenario of first contact with alien intelligence' - a fictional  dramatization of the first encounter with intelligent life from another world.
It is however very different from anything which has ever preceeded it into production and, in my opinion, it is a unique series of considerable educational significance.
It could mark a watershed or new direction for edutainment or,  more likely,  is just a one-off gem in an otherwise desolate and (again, in my opinion) boring media and edutainment landscape.      [Other one-off gems include 'Through The Wormhole' (Morgan Freeman presenting) and Alien Planet.]
Perhaps I am just one of those elitist nerds I am so heavily critical of and most of the population, because of their limited scientific education or interest, will simply just not understand the series to such an extent that it fails to become a part of popular mainstream culture.    Perhaps indeed this is the reason it has failed to be 'internationalized' to the extent that, by now, it should, in my opinion, have become a 'cult' series.
[Perhaps one day when we live in a more popular 'enlightened' scientific community-linked world, it will take its true place in the pantheon of cult productions and what went unrecognised as just another quirky sci-fi faction story will then be seen for what it truly is – a unique work of art.]

All I can attest to is that two initially very doubting Thomases thought otherwise and 'Alien Encounters' has, no doubt, expanded their mental horizons of the possibilities to no outer limits hitherto reached by any teacher at their Junior High School.

I just want on this rare occasion of something useful having been produced for a viewing audience, to spread the good news of 'salvation' so that others may follow in their path.

The series will not assist with solving the insoluble problems of today nor bring hope to those in need and despair but, as with any good religion, the hope of salvation, at some point, needs to be kept alive.

This series is 'very heavy' on general science so if your knowledge of the subject is limited you might just wanna watch initially, ignoring the technical aspects and just appreciate the content for its style of dramatizations of fictional issues.
If the topics of science and mathematics are of absolutely no interest to you I suppose I'd better advise that you give the entire series a miss.


©Patrick Emek, 2015

Current 'cult' Edutainment series:

'Through The Wormhole' (with Morgan Freeman presenting)
&
'Alien Planet'

both also have been screened on 'The Science Channel'







Blog Archive